WHOLE WHEAT PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 1 eggplant, cut into large cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2″ slices
- 1 bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 lb. whole wheat pasta (I used Ohio City fresh whole wheat spaghetti)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt (or Himalayan Pink)
Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the eggplant, zucchini and pepper on a large jelly roll pan, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place in oven checking every 5 or 10 minutes and flipping around until tender and browned evenly (about 20 minutes total).
Meanwhile in a medium skillet add 1 or 2 Tbsp. EVOO and the chopped onion and cook over medium heat until softened, 5 minutes or so. Add garlic and tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add in cheese.
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Add pasta to tomato sauce and then add in roasted vegetables and a handful of chopped fresh basil. Toss to combine and serve.